Vacation season is right around the corner and as the summer draws nearer, people are antsy to head out of town. Vacationing for two can get expensive quickly, and vacationing with a family of five, can seem near impossible.
Whether you’re planning a trip abroad or a quick weekend getaway, these 5 quick tips will help save you a little stress as we head into vacation season.
- Plan Ahead: Just like having a sound financial plan, having a travel plan is key to a successful trip. Vacations should be relaxing (or adventurous), fun and carefree. And the best way to achieve the vacation “zen” is to properly prepare. What activities/excursions are you planning once you arrive? Are you heading to another country? What are the food and drink expenses that you may expect? These questions will help ease you into tip #2.
- Budget: Perhaps the most important of the 5 tips, is to budget. First, write down all of your “wants”. For example, do you want to eat out every night or were you planning to stock up on some groceries from the local mart? Once you’ve written down everything that you want to do on vacation, you can work backwards to determine everything that you’ll actually be able to afford. Remember, a budget is only useful if you stick to it.
- Take Advantage of the Freebies: Whether you’re ocean side, mountainside or strolling through the plains of the Midwest, there are always freebies available! For example, you could take a hike through a state park, relax on a beach, or sight-see through the city. These are all terrific, low-cost options to keep in mind while vacationing.
- Buy in Advance: Some airlines tend to offer seemingly low, last-minute flights but I still stand strong in that buying in advance is always the better option. This gives you the chance to research flight options, hotel or Airbnb options as well as save a little extra cash in the meantime while you’re waiting for the big trip.
- Use Your Resources: We live in a world filled with options and technology to make our lives easier. There’s websites that allow you to easily compare hotel prices such as Kayak, or Booking.com, as well as apps that make travel a breeze. Hopper, for example, is used for flights. Just put in your dates and destination of travel and the app will tell you whether or not you should book now or wait for a better price.
These 5 quick tips can help you enjoy your vacation the way you should and deserve. But, I do have one last tip for you… have fun! After all, that’s what vacation is all about, right? If you plan ahead and follow these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy those priceless moments year after year, and without worry.
Happy Trails to you…