As the leaves of the Maple trees turn from green to red, and the Red-Twig Dogwoods show off their fiery reddish-purple side, we can sense that the colder months are closing in. While these striking colors send us a message of beauty, they also send us another message – that the season is about to change and it’s time to get ready! Whether you own a home, condo or rent an apartment there’s always something you can do to prepare for the colder weather and snow that is right around the corner. Take advantage of these simple preparation tips to make your chilly days a little warmer.
1. Close It: Keep unused rooms closed! Keeping the doors to these rooms closed will prevent cold air from moving into the rest of the house. You can contain heat in a much smaller area.
2. Strip It: Detect which window or door is leaking in the cold air and weather strip it! This is a very easy and effective method for staying warm and it can save you some money on your gas or electric bill.
3. Burn It: If you have a fireplace, use it! The amount of heat generated from a real burning fire can heat up your entire living room! Once again giving you the opportunity to turn down the thermostat for a little.
4. Seal It: Inspect your home’s foundation and ceilings and seal entry points to keep small animals and bugs from seeking warmth of the indoors.
5. Reverse Spin It: If your ceiling fan has a reverse switch, use it to run the fan’s blades in a clockwise direction after you turn on the heat. Energy Star says the fan will produce an updraft and push the heat down into the room, as heat inherently rises.
Since I am no cold weather fan, I’ve used these tips through the cold and often extreme winters. It’s helped me save those extra few dollars and, even more importantly, helped me stay warm in the face of the coldest winter winds and snow.
Enjoy the beautiful fall changes and colors, warm up with a cup of hot apple cider, Close It, Strip It, Burn It, Seal It, Reverse Spin It, and stay warm and well.